Find applications that are being accepted online
until October 5th 2023
How can I apply for the Section 8 rental assistance program?
The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program is a rental assistance program that was designed for low income families and individuals. Anyone that is over 18 and a US citizen can apply for section 8. They may do so if they fall within HUD’s median low income limits.
There are several types of rental assistance programs. Public housing is one of the lesser known housing programs, but it does allow for applicants to receive subsidized housing. One must complete a low income housing application at their local housing authority in order to be considered.
Is HUD the Section 8 rental assistance program?
No. The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), was established by the US government to allocate fund to local housing authorities to administer various rental assistance and subsidized housing programs.
The application for Section 8 rental assistance must be completed online or in person via your local PHA. Either you or the HA representative can fill it out. An HA usually needs to collect the following information to determine eligibility:
1. Names of all persons who would be living in the unit, their sex, date of birth, and relationship to the family head.
2. Your present address and telephone number.
3. Family characteristics (e.g., veteran) or circumstances (e.g., living in substandard housing) that might qualify the family for tenant selection preferences.
4. Names and addresses of your current and previous landlords for information about your family’s suitability as a tenant.
5. An estimate of your family’s anticipated income for the next twelve months and the sources of that income.
6. The names and addresses of employers, banks, and any other information the HA would need to verify your income and deductions, and to verify the family composition.
7. The PHA also may visit you in your home to interview you and your family members to see how you manage the upkeep of you current home.
What happens after I complete a Section 8 rental assistance application?
After obtaining this information, the HA representative should describe the Section 8 or Public Housing program and its requirements, and answer any questions you might have.
The Housing Authority has to provide written notification. If the HA determines that you are eligible, your name will be put on an Open Section 8 waiting list, unless the HA is able to assist you immediately. Once your name is reached on the waiting list, the HA will contact you. If it is determined that you are ineligible, the HA must say why and, if you wish, you can request an informal hearing.
What kind of lease will I sign for this type of rental assistance?
If you are offered a Section 8 house or apartment and accept it, you will have to sign a lease with the Housing Authority. You may have to give the HA a security deposit. You and the HA representative should go over the lease together. This will give you a better understanding of your responsibilities as a tenant and the Housing Authority’s responsibilities as a landlord. The Section 8 rental assistance program is probably the most well known low income housing program.